Monday, September 2, 2013

T-minus One Week

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog!

I can't believe that the time of departure to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon is only one week away.  After four years of imagining Peace Corps as the next step after college, it feels surreal that the time has finally come.  I am excited, nervous, and pretty much every other emotion you can imagine, depending on which second of the day you catch me!

For those of you who don't know, I will give you a brief run down of the information that I have so far about my post.  I will be in a position called a community health educator, which means I will be in a rural community.  The major focus of my work will be HIV and malaria education as well as a number of other health issues including, maternal and child health, hygiene, sanitation, and any issues that my community expresses a need for.  I won't learn more details until I am in country and have received my specific post.  For the first 10 weeks, myself and the other volunteers (there seem to be about 50 of us) will go through training together.  I will be in Bokito with the other "health volunteers".

My plan is to keep everyone updated through this blog, but of course the frequency with which I update will depend upon my access to the internet!

Lastly, to my wonderful friends and family:
Thank you so much for all of your support throughout the application process.  You have put up with my babbling on with excitement, crying over stressful moments, and worrying over every detail.  I am so so lucky to have you all and as I say goodbye to everyone, I am reminded again and again what an amazing support system I have.  I am bringing lots of pictures to remind me of this during the tough times at post and I expect at least a couple letters once I have my address!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment