Saturday, September 20, 2014

One Year in Cameroon


Last week, I celebrated one year of living in Cameroon.  Of course, I started thinking about the first couple of days I spent here and how much has changed since then.  Our first short walk around Yaoundé, the capital city, was incredibly overwhelming and now I frequently spend time there by myself with no problem.

·      Then: Seeing… more than the “suggested” number of people in a car shocked me
·      Now:  Seeing… a car so full of people and bananas that women are sitting on the roof takes me a couple seconds to notice

·      Then:  Speaking French… was to be avoided at all costs
·      Now:  Speaking French… is a wonderful break from “speaking” Fulfulde

·      Then:  Couscous and leaves for dinner… was a meal to be suffered through
·      Now:  Couscous and leaves for dinner… is one of my favorites

·      Then: Using a latrine… (a.k.a. pit toilet without the seat) sounded miserable

·      Then:  Buying street food... sounded like a terrible idea and a great way to get sick
·      Now:  Buying street food… is a treat reserved for market day and visiting bigger towns

·      Then:  Leaving my room… was an exhausting task that was often unpleasant because really, who wants to be stared at all the time?
·      Now:  Leaving my room… is usually enjoyable as I am greeted by an entire neighborhood of people who know my name and are thrilled to see me

·      Then:  Bargaining… was an overwhelming and unpleasant experience
·      Now:  Bargaining…  can be fun, especially when you get the “westerner speaking Fulfulde” price

·      Then:  I got very nervous when… I met my host family.
·      Now:  I get very nervous when… I have hives all over my body and medicine is not available in Danfili

·      Then:  Traveling in Cameroon… sounded scary, confusing, and next to impossible
·      Now:  Traveling in Cameroon… involves walking to the road and finding a car facing the direction I want to go

·      Then:  Living alone in a small, rural village… sounded exciting, scary, and nerve wracking
·      Now:  Living alone in a small, rural village… is sometimes exciting, scary, and nerve wracking, but more often comfortable and slow moving.  It’s a place where I am greeted enthusiastically all the way to my house each time I return from a trip.  It’s a place where everyone cares about my well-being.  It’s a place where, after almost a year, I rarely feel alone.


I don’t mean to say that after a year, living in Cameroon is a walk in the park.  Some days are really tough.  Some days too many kids call me “nasarra”.  Some days I wish I could see my family and friends, whom I miss incredibly.   However, the past year has been one of growth and I hope that my second year here in Cameroon brings more.

1 comment:

  1. a. what does nasarra mean?
    b. What a great post! amazing observations

    ReplyDelete