Monday, March 9, 2015

Mount Cameroon

Last week, I climbed Mount Cameroon with three other volunteers: Genevieve, Kim, and Mayra.  It is the highest point in West Africa at 4,100 meters.  It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen and photos just don't do it justice.  It was also one of the most challenging things I've ever done.  (This makes me a total wimp because while I climbed it in three days, many volunteers run it in one day for the Race of Hope.)  Although I'm still struggling walking up and down stairs two days later, it was an amazing experience that was well worth the pain.

Blissfully ignorant of what we were getting ourselves into

The first couple of hours are in the forest/ jungle

When it started to get hard


Day 2 begins



Finally, we can see the summit


Finally made it!!!

The view from the top

Pretending we aren't exhausted

The descent begins





Craters from the 1999 eruption


Day 3: So close to the end and so sore

The 2000 lava flow


No comments:

Post a Comment